Monday, March 1, 2010

General: Update

Ahoy, single follower and perhaps Mom!
I haven't disappeared or abandoned my projects. I just took a little break and actually played some video games. I also finished up the reading list I had for the evolution project. Actually, I gave up on Darwin's On the Origin of Species. The information was outdated, dry, and generally detrimental to my sanity. Wilson's Evolution for Everyone was interesting, but I think Grand's Creation already exposed me to a good portion of the insights presented. Still, it added to some ideas I have for the project. Horner's How to Build a Dinosaur was simply dragged out and uninformative. The discussion of the topics could have been succintly wrapped up in an essay. Both the latter books suffered from what I like to call 'Doctoritis', attempts to glorify or justify their scientific pursuits and accomplishments. Still, despite some disappointment, I think the books gave me a better overall grasp of the concept of evolution.

All three of the books did get me more interested in the nitty gritty details of genetics, DNA, and RNA. A stronger grasp of genetics would allow me to program a more interesting system to represent evolution. Last time I visited Chapters there was a book that explained all these details in a comic book format. It wasn't dumbed down information, just presented in an unusual and less intimidating format. I really wish I had purchased it then because the book is no longer there and I can't remember enough details about it to find it. However, while at the store I did find a great book called Geology from the Teach Yourself series. It contains all sorts of information about how natural formations occur. Once I get the creature evolution down, giving them a complex and dynamic environment to live in would make for a more interesting program.

Finally, I started learning the Java GUI tools (which have changed since I learned them in 1st/2nd year). Sun's ability to provide stellar tutorials for their free programs never ceases to amaze me. Once I learn the new tools, I'll start having more physical things to show you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment