Sunday, March 21, 2010

Counter-Strike Source: Bot Navigation

While making sure my old Counterstrike maps were properly together and releasable, I started playing around with the bot navigation editor. I never tried it before, but it's a fun tool to play with. While the game will generate a basic navigation grid for a custom map, I didn't realize it needed tweaking. So, I opened it up and had some fun fixing some gaps in the old maps.

The concept is fairly simple. The map gets broken into 'stepping stones' and each stone points to stones that can be reached from it. Stones can also be flagged for navigational properties. For example, the stones with green Xs in the picture below indicate they are traversed by jumping. There are similar flags for crouching, walking and running. I added a few of these, as well as made some new stones to fill in gaps created by the automatic generator.



I kind of want to create a CS:S map that has a navigation map that makes the bots look professional (no random jumping or getting stuck). That way, it's a map that plays out like a mini movie each time it runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment