Saturday, March 20, 2010

Counter-Strike Source: Sketched Maps

These are a bunch of maps that only made it to the sketching or early modelling phases.

This abbey inspired map is my favourite map that I never did. It was meant to be a small map with a simple layout, a couple levels and lots of cover.



This next one was meant to be a linear map and a bit of gauntlet challenge for the counter-terrorists. I decided the map lacked any oomph and was too linear. At the top of the main ramp, I was hoping to put a bunch of barrels held back by a breakable beam for an old school Donkey Kong effect. The one thing I would like to take away from the map is the use of the catwalks. They add good vertical elements and make for interesting tactical decisions. If you look carefully, you can also see the Combinatorial Math I should have been paying attention to.



This final map was meant to be the sequel and better done version of de_underground. It actually made it to the first round of modelling (see below), but never made it even far enough to have more than one spawn point. The first picture shows the general layout from the side, while the second one shows the various shapes of the floors in the two main chambers.





Hopefully, I can take some of the ideas in these maps and convert them ones for other games.

No comments:

Post a Comment