Friday, January 29, 2010

Crevice: Learning Stuff...That I don't have to

The map is basically done. I have to tweak a bunch of details and then do some testing with other people. Once that is done, I'm going to be finished with the map. I think it will be a fun map, but it has some flaws. Even then, I want to move onto other things.

One of the last things I was going to do was add 3D grass texture to the grass floor. For this, it is better to set up a script to automatically place the individual bits of grass, opposed to painstakingly lay out each blade by hand. I tried to look up how to do it, but any tutorial I found was either for a different mod, referenced arbritrary relations between textures and the model that pops up or referenced files that did not exist on my computer. Basically, I couldn't find a tutorial that explained the details I need.

So bland.

Anyhow, I was going to make a post about how I hate learning new things and how they make me feel a bit anxious, despite the fact I may know the task to learn is not that hard. To compare what I have and what I wanted, I went to my map and took a picture and then went to a Valve map to do the same. Lo' and be'hold! Valve doesn't use 3D grass texturing on their TF2 maps!


While they may not use 3D textures, they make good use of alpha texturing. Alpha texturing blends two textures together, like a grass and a dirt one, for more natural transitions (you can see one by the rocks in the above photo). That, I think I know how to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment