Thursday, January 7, 2010

Crevice: Displacement

The displacement is done! What is displacement? It's adding 3D texture to cliffs and fields to make them look natural and not cement walls painted brown and green. Doing the displacement for this map turned out to be quite a process that involved stripping down some old (poorly done) before putting on the new shiny coat.

As you may have noticed in earlier blog pictures, I already had some minor displacing done, but I had to delete it. Any brush (the 'slabs' that make up the majority of the map) that has a displacement can't seal the map. Sadly for me, many of my current brushes that needed displacement were brushes that doubled as sealers. So, I had to strip down my exterior and rebuild it.
The stripping down process brought an extra benefit. I found a bunch of poorly done brush and texture work under the stripped regions.

When rebuilding, the new sealing brushes were lined with a thin brush that would be displaced. This required lots of up-close work (actually worked with the smallest unit of distance in the hammer editor). Lining up the surfaces so they could be 'sewn' together took some planning.

I definateley think the map looks better with the rough grass and cliffs.
Left: Pre-Displacement
Right: Post-Displacement





















Next task: Decoration!

No comments:

Post a Comment